Luis Enrique admitted that Barcelona are targeting the treble now, as they produced one of the great football comebacks in the Champions League.
After losing 4-0 at Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of their last 16 tie last month, Barcelona faced a near-impossible task at the Camp Nou on Wednesday, knowing they had to score at least four goals to win on aggregate. However what followed was truly stunning, as Enrique’s men won the second leg 6-1.
Goals from Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi, Neymar and Sergi Roberto completed the turnaround for the Catalan giants, cancelling out Edinson Cavani’s away goal in the second half. While he announced that he was leaving the club last week, Enrique has now lifted the lid on his emotions following that remarkable comeback.
“We’ve had to go through mourning and it has been hard,” he told the COPE radio network.
“What I’ve lived today is a torrent of feelings and I have enjoyed it all the more.
What we have experienced is a brutal reinforcement. The players have executed the plan to perfection and have been justly rewarded.
“Since pre-season I said that this team, with all what it has earned, aims to win the treble.
“We have left the field today knowing we had nothing to lose. We had already lost everything in Paris.”
Barcelona have scored 76 goals and conceded 21 in their 26 La Liga fixtures this season, with a shot accuracy of 50%, as they sit top on 60 points, one ahead of Real Madrid in second.
Next up for them is an away clash at Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday afternoon, before taking on Valencia at the Camp Nou.
This post has already been read 1055 times!