Barcelona are close to agreeing deals for both Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele, according to the Catalan club’s general manager, Josep Segura.
Coutinho has been heavily linked with a move to the Camp Nou after handing in a transfer request at Anfield, although Liverpool insist the Brazil international is not for sale and have already rejected a £90.4m offer from Barcelona.
Dortmund have turned down an identical offer for their France international Dembele, who is currently serving an internal suspension at the German club after missing training amid the speculation surrounding his future.
Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde is desperate to sign reinforcements after seeing his side suffer a 5-1 aggregate defeat to bitter rivals Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup.
Segura insists Barca are closing in on their two main two transfer targets as they look to replace Neymar, who joined Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record £200m move earlier this month.
“We know that we have to strengthen the team and that’s what we will continue to do in the coming days,” Segura told TV3.
“We have to help the team. We’re close [to Coutinho and Dembele], we’re talking about the conditions but until everything is finalised, we can’t say anything else. We hope they will wear a Barca shirt.”
Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets reiterated his calls for fresh signings following the heavy defeat to Madrid on Wednesday night.
“It’s clear signings are needed,” Busquets said. “We have to strengthen the squad. We need attacking players to compensate for Neymar.
“But every position can be strengthened and the more quality players that come in the better. I hope the best players arrive and that they generate competition and give the coach decisions to make.”
This post has already been read 611 times!